Strong communication practices are at the foundation of every successful business. Communication forms the basis of two essential functions in every organisation. It provides the information to employees to get the job done and builds relationships of commitment and trust.
Does your team communicate clearly?
- What impact would improved communication have on your business?
- Would you be excited by increased productivity in your team?
- Do you know the true potential of your business?
According to business communication experts, there are 4 essential steps that will help you to successfully communicate with your team. These are known as the A’s of communication.
The 4 steps to successful communication.
- Attention – Getting the attention of your staff is the obvious first step. Respect for the other person is very important as well as showing real empathy to the person you are communicating with.
- Apprehension – Establishing a degree of understanding with the other person. Ensuring a free flow of input from the other person is also a good way to see that the message is being understood.
- Assimilation – Even though someone has understood a message, they may not take it on board or accept that type of information. Making sure that the message is taken on board ensures good co-operation and participation in the workplace.
- Action – It is here that all of the above is transferred into action of the message. You must not forget however that the originator of the message must give continuous support and encouragement.
Communication is more about human relationships than just giving instructions, information and transmitting facts. In order to communicate effectively, everyone in your team must work hard to understand and hear each other.
Don’t forget as business owners, praise is an important part of communication also. A person who feels appreciated will always do more that what is expected.